[Foundation-l] Britannica

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 15:30:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Nikola Smolenski<smolensk at eunet.yu> wrote:
> Дана Wednesday 10 June 2009 16:36:38 Florence Devouard написа:
>> But frankly, I am super pleased to find out that one of the pict I
>> uploaded 4 years ago are now featured in Britannica :-)
>
> And they made a honest effort to be GFDL-compliant. I wonder how many more
> such images are there.

They've been doing this since sometime last year.  I first noticed it
in September:
http://ragesossscholar.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-are-your-wikimedia-commons-photos.html
(at the bottom of the post is where Britannica comes up)

I think I did a rough estimate a few months ago that Britannica had
added somewhere in the thousands to ten-thousands range of images
taken from Wikipedia or Commons (including both GFDL and CC).  But
they don't provide a link back to the sources and/or userpages, so I
feel like they could do a better job of respecting the license terms.
When an image is a attributed to a hyperlinked name (as most Commons
images are), that would imply that the hyperlink ought to be part of
the attribution when it's used on the web.  Maybe the Foundation
should contact them about this.

-Sage (User:Ragesoss)