[Foundation-l] Google Translate now assists with human translations of Wikipedia articles

Kalan kalan.001 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 14:09:05 UTC 2009

Such an approach has an critical flaw. I don’t know whether this
applies to, say, English—French translations, but it is known to be
present for cyrillic languages. Statistical approach sometimes
discovers false connections that result in factual errors. Examples of
“translating”, say, “50 USD” as “50 000 UAH” within a particular
context are known; more of such things can arise unexpectedly. So, at
least a good understanding both of the topic and the source language
is a crucial prerequisite, and there should be a warning about it.

I really don’t like the way they write “Wikipedia™” instead of simply
“Wikipedia” — do they really have to emphasize the trademark status?

Perhaps, after some time goes by, I will be able to make a tool to
select all translations made that way on a wiki, which may help
deleting purely nonsensical ones.

— Kalan