[Foundation-l] Google Translate now assists with human translations of Wikipedia articles

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 9 23:14:35 UTC 2009

In the absence of a specific argument against my argument, my argument holds
- Google imports the data into their own service and there is no
contradiction.

Suppose however that my argument did not hold - that when Google download's
data to their own servers on behalf of a user this section of the ToS
becomes a legally binding contract between Google and the user. Is there a
contradiction between the ToS and Wikipedia's copyright policy?

On the one hand we have Google's ToS which states that when a user imports
data they grant Google rights that, legally, the user cannot grant. On the
other hand Google has clearly created a service that is meant to assist
Wikipedian's in translating articles from one language to another so that
the data might be imported back into Wikipedia. The very existence of such a
service, created for the express purpose of operating on GFDL/CC-BY-SA text,
automatically voids the statement in the ToS because it is nonsensical. If
Google were to try to make a legal claim on the content, which they would
not, they would have no legal basis on which to do so.

Regardless, I started this thread as a PSA. As another user pointed out, no
one would ever know if someone used Google Translate to translate a
Wikipedia article, so the whole conversation is largely pointless.