[Foundation-l] Google Translate now assists with human translations of Wikipedia articles

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:47:00 UTC 2009

2009/6/9 Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 00:54, geni<geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/6/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>:
>>> We should take the ToS to make sure the translated text can be CC-BY-SA
>>> licensed.
>>>
>>> /Brian
>>
>> Under Google's TOS you cannot enter CC or GFDL produced by someone
>> else into the translation tool.
>
> Where exactly do the TOS say it? I couldn't find it.

"By submitting your content through the Service, you grant Google the
permission to use your content permanently to promote, improve or
offer the Services"

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a
perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive
licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly
perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit,
post or display on or through, the Services."

You can't grant those rights if the copyright is held by a third
party. As a result you can't feed someone elses CC or GFDL content
into the system. There are probably other issues but the TOS is
unclear.

--
geni