[Foundation-l] Google Translate now assists with human translations of Wikipedia articles

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 9 22:31:03 UTC 2009

This is a theory. Google has a different theory that is backed up by
results. The size of the sentence-aligned corpus determines the quality of
the translation. The algorithms are entirely secondary.

In the absence of a sentence aligned corpus one must be created. People want
good machine translations but such translations require people to first do
part of the work. It's a perfectly reasonable symbiotic relationship. There
is no reason to expect that this project 1) won't help Google and 2) won't
help Wikipedia.