[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Why don't we re-encode proprietary formats as Ogg?

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 8 21:47:20 UTC 2009

I don't think that's all that's needed. There will be Wikimedians scouring
the Internet for all free video in all of its forms (of which there is quite
a lot) and uploading it to Commons. You'll need an entire encoding farm.
Hard drives are cheap, its true, but redundant storage is less cheap as a
function of reliability.