[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Why don't we re-encode proprietary formats as Ogg?

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 8 20:28:19 UTC 2009

I am definitely not opposed to adding in that functionality as I have
mentioned in the past:
see thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org/msg00888.html

You should take a look at the work Mike Baynton did back in summer of
code 07.

The issue that we have is both the Bottlenecks you mentioned. Where
possible we want to crowd source the transcoding costs and we have a
working firefogg support which we can more aggressively push out once
firefox 3.5 lands.

Essentially wikimedia commons is not designed to support hosting the raw
footage. Other like-minded organizations like archive.org that have
peta-bytes of storage across thousands of storage nodes are better
positioned to act as a host for raw footage and its derivatives.
Additional commons is a "strict" archive where files not licensed
properly often get removed where archive.org can act as a more permanent
storage space while license issues are sorted out.

Since wikimedia projects will shortly be supporting linline searching
time segment grabbing from archive.org material its maybe not so
critical that we create and host the transcoding infrastructure ourselves.

Although as you mention it would be nice to support transocoding on
wikimedias servers for uploading short clips from cell-phone type cases.

--michael