[Foundation-l] Why don't we re-encode proprietary formats as Ogg?

Peter Gervai grin at grin.hu
Mon Jun 8 12:36:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 17:26, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be a simple matter of programming to have something that
> allows upload of encumbered video and audio formats and re-encode them
> as Ogg Theora or Ogg Vorbis.

As a technical sidenote, it should be mentioned that recoding a lossy
format to another lossy format results _always_ a worse quality output
than the source lossy format. The amount of quality loss depends on
countless factors and usually do not render the result useless, but
the quality difference may be still audible/visible.

--
 byte-byte,
    grin