[Foundation-l] Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Sat Jun 6 03:08:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter said that he could run whatever was being done on an external
> server on a WMF machine that [core] developers have access to.  What
> does this have to do with being Foundation staff?

He is trying rationalize his previous behavior by stating that he thinks any
random admin on one of the projects should be able to insert a web bug into
Common.js that logs user data to a non foundation server.

I'm not sure what keywords to use but I seem to recall this issue coming up
a couple of years ago (this exact case). At any rate it seems that he was
aware of the controversy from the beginning.