[Foundation-l] Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2

Tisza Gergő gtisza at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 22:22:05 UTC 2009

Tisza Gergő <gtisza at ...> writes:
> I do argue that it is not in violation of the privacy policy (whether
> the people here find it acceptable is another question).

Just to make it clear, I don't think accordance with the privacy policy
automatically entitles one to do something. The PP is a minimum set of
requirements strong enough to assure users and weak enough to not hinder
ourselves (as it is difficult to change it); if something is permitted by the
policy, but the WMF or the developers or the relevant community is against it,
then it will not be done. So instead of talking about the privacy policy (which
would be routinely violated if spread of IP data to non-WMF-owned servers would
indeed be a violation - consider WikiMiniAtlas, for example) it would be more
productive to talk about whether such a use is acceptable, and if not, what can
be done to make it so. (For example, would it help if WM-HU took ownership? We
could also write a complementary privacy policy for it, stating that it will
never be used for any other reason than statistics, who has access, how long the
raw logs are kept etc.)