[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Jun 4 16:19:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I really don't think
> that Google, Facebook or Amazon are so stupid to sue WMF or anything
> strongly connected with WMF because their business is strongly
> connected to the perception of their behavior (by Internet users).

They think it is, anyway.  At least, Google ("don't be evil") and Facebook
("let's let everyone vote on our policies") do.  I don't know about Amazon.

Whether or not it actually is, I'm not so sure.  Isn't your behavior more
important to your business than the perception of your behavior?  Maybe not
when it comes to Internet companies - that would explain a lot, anyway.

> I don't think that Microsoft would do that

Microsoft is actually an excellent example of the fact that popular
perceptions of a company's behavior are not very important.  But then,
they're not an Internet company.