[Foundation-l] Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:35:57 UTC 2009

Installing Google Analytics, even for our own purposes, is a bad idea.
For one, it creates a link to google that is not necessarily what we
want; it would be a big target for people to try and hack, and it
presents tempting security risks on Google's end.  Not to mention, as
far as I know the program is proprietary.

If we're going to do something like this, it should be open source,
and it should something that we can internally install and monitor
without external options. That is, again, assuming we do something
like that. That's not a foregone presumption. I'm not convinced that
we need to be tracking user behavior at this point in time, or that
the tradeoffs for doing so are worth any benefits, or that doing so is
in furtherance of our mission.

-Dan