[Foundation-l] Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Thu Jun 4 15:13:27 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> Web bugs for statistical data are a legitimate want but potentially a
> horrible privacy violation.
>
> So I asked on wikitech-l, and the obvious answer appears to be to do
> it internally. Something like http://stats.grok.se/ only more so.
>
> So - if you want web bug data in a way that fits the privacy policy,
> please pop over to the wikitech-l thread with technical suggestions
> and solutions
Precisely. External web bug trackers should be removed without
exception. People who add them innocently, out of an understandable
interest in collecting aggregated information that would not violate the
privacy policy, should be directed to request and help with internal
solutions, kept within appropriate limits to comply with the policy.

--Michael Snow