[Foundation-l] Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies

John at Darkstar vacuum at jeb.no
Thu Jun 4 11:33:46 UTC 2009

The interesting thing is "who has interest in which users identity".
Lets make an example, some organization sets up a site with a honeypot
and logs all visitors. Then they correlates that with RC-logs from
Wikipedia and then checks out who adds external links back to
themselves. They do not need direct access to Wikipedia logs or the raw
traffic.

There is only one valid reason as I see it to avoid certain stat
engines, and that is to block advertising companies from getting
information about the readers. The writers does not have any real
anonymity at all.

John