[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 12:02:30 UTC 2009

Hoi,
I am glad that there is still some work to do.. God forbid that Wave would
be the all singing, all dancing replacement for all other software under the
sun. Now, I am an optimist and I am happy that the first code to bring
MediaWiki content in a Wave, I am glad that my optimism is tempered with the
"realism" of outstanding issues.

So let us be realistic.. Even in Wikipedia you will not have thousands of
people editing *at the same time* in a document. Showing every key stroke is
something that can be suppressed. In my opinion it only makes sense to
follow all changes when it is a document that is on your watch list. You
only want to see what other people are editing when you are editing
yourself.

Domas if I can come up with such answers, when I as an eternal optimist
agree with you that integration of MediaWiki content let alone replacement
of MediaWiki is something else I am sure that it is too easy to ridicule a
first effort. In your reply you mention javascript, is that based on reading
about the "embed" API ??  I think that the relevant protocols are peer to
peer and XML.. Indeed a computer does not have an endless supply of CPU or
memory but your computer talks to your wave server.. and your wave server
talks to wave servers peered in the conversation.. Indeed it sounds like
fun, but I do not want to deprive the foundation-l of all the fun.

In the mean time, can you get us access to the Wave environment? I would
appreciate such a positive gesture :)
Thanks,
       GerardM