[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Jun 2 19:44:53 UTC 2009

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Lars PLEASE read the license before you comment.

Of course I have read the short license text at
http://www.waveprotocol.org/patent-license

It says that as long as we follow Google's protocol standard, they
won't sue us for infringing on their patents ("patents necessarily
infringed by implementation of this specification").  Oh, how very
generous.  But what if we want to implement some of their features
in MediaWiki without following their protocol?  That is where we
should be worried.  What exactly is it that they have patented?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)