[Foundation-l] One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia)

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 20:49:51 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> The educated people in rural areas generally get themselves out.  If someone
> voluntarily chooses to live a subsistence lifestyle, there's no point in
> providing them with a free copy of Wikipedia in the first place.

Few people voluntarily chose to be poor or near starvation - they
don't have access to appropriate education, economy, and technology to
advance.

We cannot solve the second any more than the western world has over
the last couple of centuries, but we can help with 1 and possibly 3 if
we bring knowledge closer to people.

WikiHow is probably more hands-on practical for some of this purpose,
let's generalize out to "Freely Available info sources" from
"Wikipedia" - we could coordinate something but include much more than
just our own info.

OLPC is focused on kids.  That's important.  Perhaps a sister program
to provide one OLPC or like device per village, with a more adult
development / educational / practical hands on skills data set load
would be appropriate.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com