[Foundation-l] One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:54:14 UTC 2009

2009/6/1 mike.wikipedia at gmail.com <mike.wikipedia at gmail.com>:
> You also found any statistics on what prices for internet access through
> mobile networks are? What proportion of the world's people can afford a
> internet connection in the first place, and how many can afford a
> connection which is useful to browse wikipedia?
> I'm just curious as I know someone - a westerner - working in Africa and
> finding internet access hideously expensive. (chat and email ok, but she
> tells that she avoids browsing the net as the cost is per downloaded MB)

Indeed. That's why I was suggesting not using a regular ISP but rather
having them phone a WMF number to get direct access to the appropriate
data, sort of like the old BBS system. That could be subsidised/free
except for the cost of the phone call (which could hopefully be
subsidised/free, but would require negotiation with the network
provider).