[Foundation-l] One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 01:08:41 UTC 2009

2009/6/1 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I guess I'm so used to broadband I forgot about the
>> existence of dial up for a second! You would need to hand out phones,
>> laptops, and network subscriptions, though - that's getting rather
>> expensive just to give someone an up-to-date encyclopaedia.
>

> I guess I'm forgetting how cheap labor is in so many parts of the world.
> Here in the US we're talking about less than a week's work, but in an Indian
> call center we're talking about over a month.

People working in Indian call centres probably already have internet
access, or at least can access the internet somewhere (in a internet
cafe, or something). They are generally quite highly educated (I
believe many even have degrees, but can make more money in a call
centre working for a foreign company than using their degree working
for an Indian company). For people in rural areas, there is no way
they could ever afford these things themselves, many have a
subsistence lifestyle, there is no possibility to save up for stuff.