[Foundation-l] How was the "only people who averaged two edits a week in the last six months can vote" rule decided?

Kwan Ting Chan ktc at ktchan.info
Fri Jul 31 18:45:20 UTC 2009

Brian wrote:

> The WMF is a far cry from the original vision of it as a membership
> organization. Also, the board propagates stale laws under the notion of
> status quo for which the original "consensus" is no longer remembered. There
> is further no top down effort to ask the community if they have any good
> ideas, and then ask the community what they think about the best of those
> ideas. That, in my view, is a broken system.

I'm going to take particular issue with the last point here.

On 3 June *2008*, right after last year election, Jesse
Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild), one of last year election committee
member, posted on the talk page of either Election 2009 or election 2008
(and subsequently merged with this year) "If you have an idea on how to
improve the 2008 board elections system for 2009, please post them below
under a section name that briefly summarizes the subject".

Philippe posted this year rules on this mailing list on 27 May. It has
always been the case that election committee will take any feedback or
concern expressed and change the rules based on those concern if needed.
Example of that happened last year when the recent edit over last 3
months requirement was added and subsequently modified based on feedback
to last 6 months. This year, the period of candidate presentation was
extended significantly, right up to the start of the election, again
based on feedback here on this mailing list.

You can't complain that the election committee don't take on board new
ideas or feedbacks if you haven't expressed it before the election started.

KTC

     - Heinrich Heine