[Foundation-l] Analysis of statistics

Dennis During dcduring at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 12:32:28 UTC 2009

It is not entirely a matter of recruitment.

To me the problem appears in the form of how welcoming the projects are to
the different types of contributors and types of contributions. That, in
turn relates to the value system and cognitive and social biases of those
who control the projects.

As we have more to protect (formatting, layout, content organization,
stylistic unity) there is a negative attitude toward anyone who might
jeopardize it through clumsy attempts at improvement.  I sometime notice and
feel a tendency to be more cooperative and patient with someone I perceive
as being older.  I'm pretty sure that younger contributors sense my efforts
to communicate with them as, um, adult.  This provides a bias against
younger would-be contributors.

Facilitating contributions by newbies is part of what might help make for an
easier induction of all new users, which provides a modest tendency to favor
the young without disfavoring the old.  Having a bit more structure to new
user induction seems to be the inevitable direction to go to elicit breadth
on the projects. Out existing low-structure approaches need to be
supplemented with attractive more-structured paths.

Perhaps inviting structured feedback (eg article ratings with links to
article talk pages) to draw folks into low risk-of-damage active involvement
would enable us to get more from those a little less bold and motivated.