[Foundation-l] Two Ways to Wikipedia - a concept for more effective editing

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 07:45:12 UTC 2009

Hoi,
What you describe is an additional hurdle to become an editor. This is
something that a community can consider only when it has a certain maturity.
To me it gives the impression of an elitist approach to being a Wikipedian.
The only reason I see why such a hurdle might be considered beneficial is
because it is prevents a certain amount of vandalism. In a Wikipedia where
everyone can edit, it is the longtime contributors who are the elite. This
is for instance seen in giving value to the year people joined the
Wikipedia. Even this number is open to interpretation; the first year people
can join the Western Mari Wikipedia is 2009.. And I am sure they welcome
anyone who writes a proper stub.

Proposals for a hurdle like this are welcome on the Foundation list, I find
it fascinating that these things are seriously considered. These proposals
are targeted to particular Wikipedias. It helps when it is made clear what
Wikipedias they are.
Thanks,
        GerardM