[Foundation-l] Analysis of statistics

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 11:11:05 UTC 2009

John,

Thanks a lot - you made my Saturday! ;)

> Is it somehow possible to let newcomers write articles together with
> oldtimers until they learn the most basic things?

But why (?) we suggest that it's impossible?
If we will put that as (realized) aim this is very possible - we
should just to embody in Wikipedia community such thing as
apprenticeship http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apprenticeship . Isn't it
sorta funny that Wikipedia contain guidelines which seems to be
ignored by project community? ;)

> How
> can we change this, both at a human level and with technical solutions?
> Perhaps it is possible
> to make personal sandboxes where they can get some guidance before the
> dogfight starts?

Some people believe that it's good for newcomer to put him/her into
the middle of dogfight from the day1. I'm not really supporter of
that approach - there will be more than enough dogfights in future.
So it's really important (mission-critical in terms of Wikipedia
mission) what happens before the first dogfight.

We have some stuff (RSS-feeds, personal sandboxes etc.) to assist both
grossmeister and apprentice, but sure we should develop some more.