[Foundation-l] Analysis of statistics

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Jul 24 16:00:34 UTC 2009

Henning Schlottmann wrote:

> Who are our actual users?

This is a good question, not only with respect to level (youth or
academic), but also for topics (academic subjects like medicine,
or popular culture).  Retired academics might provide useful input
on how to treat cancer, but might be out of touch with trends in
manga or cooking.  If we discourage teenagers from writing about
their favorite artists, they will find Wikipedia less useful.

It is also a question of what alternatives to Wikipedia our users
have.  Even if we fail to produce a good encyclopedia (in many
smaller languages, it will take a long time to build something
useful), we might succeed in killing all competition, especially
printed reference works.  This is a problem for Wikipedia as well,
as we could be running out of sources to cite.

I have written many short articles based on information found in
reference works like "who's who" from earlier decades. But many
such titles are no longer produced, because printed reference
works are no longer profitable, especially in smaller markets
(smaller languages).  The Swedish "Vem är det" was published every
2nd year, but had a 6 year gap from 2001 to 2007, and I don't know
if there will ever be another edition.

Many printed reference works were financially supported by buyers
who thought they were necessary to have, but seldom used them.
Today the same people still use reference works very seldom. The
difference is they now think (wrongly) that everything is online,
and they don't need to buy printed reference works anymore.

Another traditional "must have" is the daily newspaper, which many
young people are now abandoning, resulting in the current crisis.
Revenue from ads on newspaper websites isn't covering the loss of
subscription revenue from the printed editions.

We could be entering a period of scarcity of good reference
information, as counterintuitive as that might seem.  There is a
huge gap for Wikipedia to fill.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)