[Foundation-l] Analysis of statistics

Felipe Ortega glimmer_phoenix at yahoo.es
Fri Jul 24 15:55:13 UTC 2009

--- El vie, 24/7/09, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> escribió:

> De: Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>
> Asunto: Re: [Foundation-l] Analysis of statistics
> Para: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Fecha: viernes, 24 julio, 2009 5:25

> Whatever means in the official statistics. It would be good
> to have numbers about newcomers and those who made 10 or 100 edits,
> so we may compare how do we attract attention through the time.
> However, I think that those numbers are relatively stable in the past   > couple of years (let's say, from 2005 or so).

You can check more precise figures and graphs in my thesis about general statistics for survivability for all logged editors and core editors (the top 10% most active editors in each month), from the beginning until Dec. 2007, in the top-ten language versions (at that time).

http://libresoft.es/Members/jfelipe/phd-thesis (page)
http://libresoft.es/Members/jfelipe/thesis-wkp-quantanalysis (doc)

As for the percentages of users by age, education level, etc. my impression is that opinions from experienced community members are often well oriented. But they're only opinions. Until we get the results of the general survey, we won't have a clear picture of the current "recruitment" targets for all versions.

Nevertheless, according to our updates, it seems that the situation is not getting better from Jan 2008 onwards.

Best,
Felipe.