[Foundation-l] Analysis of statistics

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 14:55:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Henning
Schlottmann<h.schlottmann a gmx.net> wrote:

> But do we know how many professionals and other people from the general
> public use Wikipedia every day? One of the most active contributors to
> de-WP once told the story that he was at a pediatric with his sick child
> and the doctor used Wikipedia to confirm his diagnosis - of course
> without knowing that the father of his patient had expert knowledge on
> how this "second opinion" was written.

That's quite scary, actually

> I met teachers, university docents, authors, journalists, lawyers,
> social workers, telcom technicians and members of pretty much any other
> profession, who rely on Wikipedia for a quick lookup of something.

Wikipedia is perfectly ok for a quick lookup, to get a brief idea on
something you know very little. But that doesn't mean Wikipedia is the
ultimate resource. It wasn't meant to be so, and this is not the scope
of an encyclopeadia.

Cruccone