[Foundation-l] Dispute resolution mailing list

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 00:53:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:26 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/23 Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com>:
>
>> Nothing prevents you from starting your own mailing list if Cary won't. As I am not a member of the wikien cesspool, what purpose are you thinking of?
>

> wikien-l is full of useful and relevant stuff about en:wp. It's not
> very cesspooly these days, really! Mostly.

Its important to note that our current setup was not always as it is
today. Wikipedia-l was once for a time the main mailing list, until
wikien-l localized discussion to the English Wikipedia. In the context
of dispute resolution mailing lists, my request can be considered both
redundant and unnecessary, if one considers the two current lists
(arbitration and mediation) to be satisfactory. Of course those lists
are closed lists, and do not satisfy any requirement or need except
for internalized discussion. I was on Medcom for over three years (off
and on) and I think I wrote the mediation list once. Which raises
another plain issue that those two lists are inaccurately titled:
they are not arbitration or mediation lists as much as they are arbcom
and medcom lists.

In any case, if I understand Geoffry's comment correctly, this would
be the second time we've seen a suggestion of "go set up your
Wikimedia-related mailing list somewhere else" or, put another way,
"go Google yourself." If there was any substance in the comment, its
easy enough to defeat simply by pointing to the existence of other
purposed mailing lists.

-Steven