[Foundation-l] Dispute resolution mailing list

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 19:44:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Thomas Dalton<thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> being bounced around.

There weren't any "different proposals." Aside from suggestions taht
dealt with the scope such a list would take, there was a brief
suggestion for a separate announce list - one which simply posted what
issues were present.

> As I recall, a list to discuss general dispute resolution matters
> and perhaps to draw attention to specific disputes has some support,

That is correct. That is essentially the entire concept.

But note also that the core of our dispute resolution is best codified
with something like DBAD. So to make a habit of chastizing people
simply for getting into specific issues on a list itself violates
DBAD, and that is why Im reluctant to put hard boundaries on what can
or cannot be discussed. If its dispute resolution related, we can
discuss it. Obviously much will deal with simply pointing people to
the right places on the wiki, helping filing WP:DRR (requests), and
keeping things high-level, as you have suggested.

> but I don't recall much support for a list where disputes would
> actually be resolved (which I think was your original proposal).

That actually wasn't my proposal to "resolve" disputes there. On the
other hand, if a report to ANI or RFC receives attention that solves
certain problems, then does that mean you would object to the usage of
ANI or RFC to "resolve disputes?"

I guess the point is that the distinctions you illustrate and
so-called ambiguity issues you raise are unnecessary and
argumentative.

> I don't think the list can be created until it is agreed what it will
> actually be for.

Sure. That's why I proposed it in the first place. And as far as
agreement, goes, I gauge our degree of disagreement at only about five
percent.

-Steven