[Foundation-l] strategic planning IRC office hours

Eugene Eric Kim eekim at blueoxen.com
Wed Jul 22 06:24:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Samuel Klein<meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> You replace one vested group (people already regularly editing the host
> wiki) with another (people who split off to found the new wiki).  both run
> the risk of 'groupthink' and founder effects.

The plan is not to replace one group with another.

I recognize the challenges in starting new Wikis, and I appreciate the
specific issues that people have surfaced in this discussion. I am
constantly pushing people to think about collaborative tools as
physical spaces, which means that introducing new tools is akin to
creating new rooms. It can be laborious to go from room to room, and
if people don't find those new rooms compelling, they won't bother
going.

I think the stated goals will be reason enough for people to
participate. Moreover, I think the barrier to bringing existing
Wikimedians to a new Wiki is much lower than the barrier of bringing
other folks to Meta. If Meta was what Wikimedians pointed to as the
model for how a great Wiki community works, I don't think we'd be
having this discussion right now. I don't think that's the case.

I'm in favor of making Meta better as part of this process. That can
come in many different forms, as you suggest, including taking lessons
from a new Wiki back to Meta.

=Eugene

=Eugene