[Foundation-l] [Slashdot] Why the Photos On Wikipedia Are So Bad

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jul 21 21:28:05 UTC 2009

wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>
>> Explaining this to professional content creators and media companies
>> leads to exploding heads. Pointing out that giving it all away has
>> made Wikipedia a top-ten website and must be doing all right from it
>> isn't enough to convince them ... it goes so much against everything
>> they think they know about the world.
>>
> And in turn there are those of us that will not give anything to these
> media companies. I'll see a company like News International rot in hell
> first.

I think that the theory that underlies this view is that the media
companies' dominance in the market is best loosened by putting one's own
head against a stone wall and using it to beat the wall severely. By
contrast, a properly viral licence will constrain the commercial
publisher with the requirement that any use by him will also render his
new context for that photograph just as available for free use as the
photograph itself.

Ec