[Foundation-l] [Slashdot] Why the Photos On Wikipedia Are So Bad

wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 21 19:05:40 UTC 2009

Peter Gervai wrote:

> Usually I do not get it why people choose NC licenses all the time
> while there's usually a low probability to actually _lose_ money by
> making it public.

This may come as a shock to you but its not about money. When I take
photographs it is in my free time, and outside of the commercial system.

If you have a personal use, want to illustrating an article or blog that
is not Adsense rich, have an academic use, or a small scale fundraising
non-profit fine take what you want. If on the other hand you are share
cropping with Google Ads, using the images to tart up an otherwise
tawdry commercial web site, are involved in online selling, are a
commercial advertising or publishing house, then kiss my arse.

The NC license serves very well.