[Foundation-l] [Slashdot] Why the Photos On Wikipedia Are So Bad

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 10:54:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Stephen Bain<stephen.bain a gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why the Photos On Wikipedia Are So Bad
>> 'To me the problem is the Wikipedia
>> rule of public use,' says Jerry Avenaim, a celebrity photographer. 'If
>> they truly wanted to elevate the image on the site, they should allow
>> photographers to maintain the copyright.'"
>
> We should definitely take advice from a professional photographer who
> doesn't understand what a licence is.

I think that when we're dealing with celebrities, it is both in our
and their interest to have a good photo on Wikipedia or Commons. They
look very happy to pay a good photographer to get a good photo of
them, why can't they pay a bit more so that the photographer releases
some photos under a free license? Is the lobby of photographers really
so powerful?

At the moment the only alternative celebs have is hoping no random
Wikipedian takes a photo of them and once they're dead a nice
copyrighted photo can be uploaded on the projects that allow
fairuse... I don't think many celebs really want this ;)

Cruccone