[Foundation-l] National Portrait Gallery

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Sat Jul 18 13:45:46 UTC 2009

geni wrote:
> 2009/7/18 Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com>:
>> Put me in touch with instructors at art schools and I'll incorporate
>> restoration into their curriculum.  You'll be surprised how scaleable this
>> is, particularly if we work out exhibition opportunities.
>>
>> -Durova
>
> Restoration isn't the problem for the most part. The English part of
> the National Monuments Record contains about 10 million items (mostly
> photos I think). Wales and Scotland ad few million more.
>
> That includes a fairly complete public domain aerial survey of the UK
> from the 1940s.
>
> We do not have the capacity to support digitalization on that scale.

Well, who's your "we"?

In the case of the NPG, it is quite clear that the cost of the
digitalization is small compared with the potential benefit.
There are people and organisations willing to pay to have a copy of
these famous portraits. The issue is how to collect the funds without
puting a copyright on the images. For this, we need a new business
model. Think about how donations was raised to free up Blender.[1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)#History

Yann
--
http://www.non-violence.org/ | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence