[Foundation-l] National Portrait Gallery

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Jul 17 23:11:38 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:

> (The real problem, IMO, is funding - that governments tell
> galleries they have to make money from exploiting the works in
> their possession.

Ah, but do governments really say this?  I think it's museum
people who want to "play business" because business is glamorous
and state-owned administration is dull and grey. I don't think
governments originally came up with this idea.

Someone should do research and cite sources.  Wikipedia's article
on museums, or the history of museums, should have a section about
this annoying trend. I guess museum journals of the recent decades
should have articles that can be cited as sources.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)