[Foundation-l] National Portrait Gallery

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 22:29:22 UTC 2009

2009/7/17 Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:

> (*) Would not make the Wikimedia Foundation or its community of user
> appear to endorse or support the assertion of copyright on exacting
> reproductions of clearly public domain works. Wikimedia (as far as I
> can tell) and many of its users believes that it would be a
> significant harm to the public and a blow to the fundamental nature of
> copyright if that kind of loophole were allowed to exist.

I can imagine an NPG copyright tag that carefully states their claims
without endorsing them:

"This image is public domain in the US, as a plain reproduction of a
public domain work. The National Portrait Gallery asserts copyright
over this scan in the UK and licenses said scan under [copyleft
licence]."

That would pass muster for Commons just fine, though many would be
annoyed and consider it was a sellout not to push the public domain
question.

- d.