[Foundation-l] About that "sue and be damned" to the NationalPortrait Gallery ...

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 23:04:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Gregory Maxwell<gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> For clarity sake I should point out that the neither the complaint to
> Wikimedia, nor the response to the OTRS reply, included any offer of
> compromise.

Also worth mentioning is that a copyright complaint by the NPG in 2006
where the initial response from our side was "What we're doing is
permitted by US law" was satisfactorily resolved by providing
attribution and back-links on the image page.

I suspect the increasing number of commercial partnerships to provide
access to PD works is moving the bar and sending some webtraffic and
attribution is no longer competitive with with others are able to
offer providing that the content can be locked up and exclusive access
assured.