[Foundation-l] About that "sue and be damned" to the National Portrait Gallery ...

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 18:47:25 UTC 2009

2009/7/11 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/11 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Please, nobody else take unilateral action. You're not the one being
>>> sued, it isn't your call.
>>
>> Legally at the moment no one is being sued. Additionally none of the
>> actions being carried out would be in contempt of court even if there
>> was an ongoing case at this point.
>
> I'm not talking about legalities, I'm talking about responsible
> behaviour. The NPG may well be willing to reach a reasonable
> settlement but they are less likely to do so if Wikimedians have been
> speaking ill of them in the popular press. You don't know if Derrick
> wants to fight this or not.

The case is under English and welsh law. For solid legal reasons the
NPG will be willing to make a reasonable settlement.

Since we know that the NPG are not completely stupid and English law
in any case lacks statutory damages it would seem to be somewhat
improbable that any course of action we can take can make them insist
on an unreasonable settlement.

--
geni