[Foundation-l] The problem with native languages vs. the lingua franca

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:31:25 UTC 2009

Hoi,
Let us analyse this. The English Wikipedia is quite good at providing
information about Science. The Malay Wikipedia is probably not as good. When
the Malaysian government decides to have teaching to be conducted for many
subjects in Malay, it will not detract anything from the English Wikipedia.
All its information will be there. It will be there for everyone including
people from Malaysia.

With scientific subjects taught in Malay, the audience for quality Wikipedia
articles on science will grow. Consequently it will be more stimulating to
write about scientific articles in Malay.

My conclusion is that nothing is lost for the English language Wikipedia and
there is an opportunity for people to write about science in Malay and make
these articles at least as good as the articles on the English language
Wikipedia.

I do not have an opinion on the Malaysian government teaching in either
English or Malay. With a Wikipedia hat on, I see first and foremost
opportunities. That is not bad.
Thanks,
       GerardM