[Foundation-l] A chapters-related question

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:41:50 UTC 2009

2009/7/9 Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com>:
>> I think a formal "Association of Catalan Wikimedians", recognised by
>> the WMF as an "affiliated organisation" and with something quite
>> similar to the chapters agreement would work well. Calling it a
>> chapter will cause problems, since it overlaps with other chapters,
>> but it can be much the same thing just with a different name.
>
> Yes, keeping in mind that the most important thing here is, in my
> opinion, close collaboration with the chapters that are "touched" by
> this organisation. In cases like this, I am not sure that the
> Wikimedia Foundation is the best partner. In any case, the
> WMFoundation definitely should not be the "only" partner and
> recognition should also come from the chapters potentially involved.

Interesting thoughts. The WMF needs to be a partner since the WMF owns
the relevant trademarks. The chapters certainly need to be involved,
but I don't know if they should be involved in the recognition part
(apart from maybe writing letters of support to the WMF). The WMF
should probably consult them, since if one chapter is opposed it could
cause some problems, so that should be sorted out beforehand. I'm just
not really sure what it would mean for the chapters to "recognise"
them.