[Foundation-l] Proposal for Wikimedia Weather

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 8 17:21:23 UTC 2009

Tris Thomas wrote:
> I'm interested in people's thoughts on a new Wikimedia project-maybe
> WikiWeather, which basically would do what it says on the tin.  Along
> with importing national weather from other sources(especially to begin
> with), contributors could then put their weather where they are.  This
> could evolve into many contributors giving very localised weather
> forecasts worldwide, which could be used by many of the other projects
> and anybody else.
>
> Would people be interested in this proposal/have any thoughts on it?

While this would be very nice if it could be done, I don't see any
realistic chance of it happening.  Original reporting on Wikinews is
spotty because there are far too few people going out to give direct
coverage to the stories, even when notable stories in a place happen
only infrequently.  We have weather everywhere, everyday, 24/7, and it
is constantly changing.  I don't see how there could be enough
dedication to the task to make this fly.

Ec