[Foundation-l] [Fwd: A chapters-related question]

Anders Wennersten anders.wennersten at bonetmail.com
Mon Jul 6 08:41:28 UTC 2009

The Foundation and Mike G, quite rightly I believe, are now working on
securing the value of the name, trademark and Logo use. According to
this focus they want to regulate all uses of the trademark and name
association in order it will not be misused. And to really secure it it
needs phrasings like below, in order for the Foundation to quickly be
bale to withdraw any recognition is any foul business occur.So while I
totally agree on the culture of WMF I also believe the name  and
trademark is so important nowadays we can not put these in jeopardy by
too loosely regulated partners

MikeS already mention good examples, I can add some more we in ChapCom
are unsure of how to handle.
-A request from the Catalnn society wanting to promote an association
covering several national countries (Spain, France, Italy). They are now
in a lengthy process asking the approval of existing chapters, and the
question is if it not would eb easier for them to be recognized on
another base then geographic boundary/Chapter status
-A request from Macedonia. They are in general fulfilling the demands on
a chapter but some of us in ChapCom are concerned of their small
membercommunity (9-15) (and user community on mk:wp). It would be much
easier for all concerned if they could be given recognition and right to
use the trademark without being defined as a chapter (being more
controlled the first year or so, to see if they become a full viable
community)

Anders
Text from agreement which I find more or less appropriate (perhaps not,
though the US law controlling it)

**4.1.Conduct.* xxxx shall not engage in social or political activism
which might distract from the promotion of free content and knowledge,
any illegal activity, or any activity which might negatively affect the
work or image of Foundation. Chapter may promote free culture, free and
open-source software, and free knowledge at any time; such activity is
understood to be consistent with this clause and with the mission of the
Wikimedia Movement.

**4.2.No Authority to Act for Foundation.* xxxx shall not hold itself
out as an agent or representative or division of, permit its employees,
directors, officers, agents, and representatives to speak or act on
behalf of or purport to speak or act on behalf of Foundation, including
but not limited to making statements that purport to be official
positions of Foundation.

**4.3.Non-Profit Status.* xxxxr at all times shall remain in good
standing as a non-profit entity in the jurisdiction of its incorporation
and otherwise in accordance with the laws of the Region. xxxxr shall
advise Foundation within thirty (30) days if its status as a nonprofit
entity changes.

**4.4.Compliance with Law.* xxxxx shall comply with all applicable law
in its activities under this Agreement. xxxxx shall make all filings and
maintain, at its own expense, all permits, licenses, and other
governmental approvals that may be required in the Region in connection
with its performance of this Agreement