[Foundation-l] [Fwd: A chapters-related question]

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jul 6 08:34:39 UTC 2009

Anders Wennersten wrote:
> I agree  with you analysis, and that we need to come up with some
> definition of entities not being a chapter but in need of official
> recognition and having some rights being formally regulated .
>
> I would suggest we
> 1. come up with a name for these types of groups - "Friends of..",
> "Associates of ..." or something like that.
> 2.  start to look into in how to regulate the relation to these new
> entities and how to control them. Actually I think Mike Godwins proposal
> for a new Chapter agreement, while being overly controlling for a
> chapter, would be appropriate as a start for a contract with these new
> entities. Yearly renewal periods and regular reporting should be OK in
> these cases..

One point in the model agreement that I find highly disagreeable is
having them governed exclusively by US law.  Most chapters will operate
wholly outside the US as legally organized entities under the respective
country's laws, so it would make no sense to have those laws overridden
by the foreign laws of the United States.  Waiving the application of
rights relating to the Conflict of Laws should not be done without
serious legal advice about the effects of this in one's own country.

Ec