[Foundation-l] No default codec for <video> and <audio> in HTML5

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 11:26:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 14:01, Mike.lifeguard <mikelifeguard at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Silly me, I never thought anyone would even consider having a standard
> that wasn't completely open.

Maybe you are joking and i am missing it, but that is indeed sad -
Nokia, Apple, Microsoft and many other companies really like non-open
standards and dislike open ones. In the particular case of video, they
all probably hate OGG, because it is not DRM-friendly.

But it's even better not to push OGG through a committee, but to make
it the de-facto standard by just using it as much as possible and
recommending Wikipedia readers to install a browser that supports it.
Microsoft made IP their main network protocol after their proprietary
offerings weren't so popular, while ODF's adoption is still weak in
comparison to MS-Office despite apparent support from standards
committees and some local laws.