[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation 2009-10 Annual Plan and Questions and Answers

Veronique Kessler vkessler at wikimedia.org
Thu Jul 2 22:14:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm happy to tell you that I have just posted to the Foundation website,
the 2009-10 Annual Plan along with Questions and Answers.  The
resolution in the plan was unanimously approved by the full board.

To give you some context, the previous plan covering 2008-09, was the
second official plan in the history of the Foundation and the first plan
to set revenue targets; targets that called for doubling revenue from
the previous year.  We started building the 2008-09 plan just 15 weeks
after opening the San Francisco office.  Our priority at that time was
to invest in revenue-generating staff while making small, essential
investments in technology and programmatic activity,

We have ended 2008-09 having surpassed our revenue goals and having
spent less than planned due to a conscientious reduction in spending
from October through January in response to the global economic uncertainty.

The 2009-10 year again increases revenue.  Spending increases are
focused primarily in tech and other program spending including our key
initiative for 2009-10, the collaborative strategy development project.
Please take a look at the Annual Plan for more detail and information
at:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Financial_reports#2009-2010_fiscal_year

Veronique