[Foundation-l] How do you fully consult the community consensus?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:01:12 UTC 2009

Hoi,
The answer seems obvious: "in the same way it has always been done". There
are a few things that are quite obvious, the community will not be asked
when things need to be changed because they are broken. There have been
indications that the template stuff has been broken and as it is now clear
that it is can and does break the system and it will be changed. There is a
discussion going on on the Wikitech list and that is where the community can
be found that has a clue.

When you consider MediaWiki, it is used in many languages and for many
projects. Some basic functionality is just not good enough. I am grateful
for the Usability Initiative but for many languages the issues it addresses
are already too sophisticated.  You may remember my rants about Lingala..
They do not have a community because we do not even fully support the Latin
script. At last weeks Open Translation Tools conference I met Dwayne Bailey
the leading light on internationalisation and localisation for African
languages and he is willing to help us make MediaWiki ready for African
languages.

MediaWiki is open source software. This means that you pay for what what is
not there. You can pay by suffering and you can pay by developing software.
When you think you know what the community needs, you can do your utmost to
make it happen. I have been active in the development of software and I
consider the LocalisationUpdate extension extremely relevant for the
community that does not rely on the English language.

All in all, the community is only dependent on the Foundation for the
assessment of code. When functionality is Brion proof, you may find that the
community sets the agenda.
Thanks,
     GerardM