[Foundation-l] Are model releases required for 'Free' content? (was: Sexual Content on Wikimedia)

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Fri Jan 30 12:46:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Guillaume Paumier <guillom.pom at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> wrote:
> >
> > ... now the French chapter has dragged us into the world of commercial
> publishing...
>
> As already pointed out by several people (including me [1]), this is
> blatantly false. Could you please stop spreading this deliberate
> misinformation?

Your argument about "merely" accepting donations 'under the table' is weak
and if anything issuing press releases impeaches the chapter further. As I
said to GerardM off-list, selling drugs for charity is still selling drugs.

Wikipedia's recent moves to both sell content commercially (even if simply
by turning a blind eye to the practice) and attempt to filter it with
flagged revisions (thus taking a big step from being a distributor towards
being a publisher) are going to require some amount of review of existing
practices.

In any case this is all off-topic for the thread,

Sam

[1]