[Foundation-l] Commons and The Year of the Picture

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu Jan 29 03:12:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> > 1. Upload high-resolution copyrighted image littered with trademarks as
> > anonymous user.
> > 2. Immediately order poster of said image.
> > 3. File against WMF, its chapter(s) and the printer for good measure
> > claiming [RI|MP]AA sized damages for copyright and trademark
> infringement,
> > submitting said poster(s) and invoice(s) as evidence.
> > 4. ???
> > 5. Profit!
>
> I find your scenario too conspiratorial to be believable.

The first two steps are likely already done (actually step #2 is optional
anyway if the file sharing lawsuits are any metric). All we need now is for
a copyright/trademark holder (like Hanks Pediatric Eye Charts[1],
concurrently listed for sale[2] and as a copyright violation for speedy
deletion[3]) to get their nose out of joint and we're at #3 without any
conspiring whatsoever.

I'll put it another way for you: Can anyone guarantee that the French
chapter are not offering copyrighted and/or trademarked material for sale,
(indirectly) for profit?

It's amazing that people are carrying on about relicensing work that authors
intended to be free while turning a blind eye to commercial use of protected
IP.

Sam

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanks_Paediatric_Eye_Charts
2. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Paed07_C7.jpg