[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:11:10 UTC 2009

Anthony wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <
> cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Mike Linksvayer wrote:
>>
>>> As others have pointed out on this or nearby threads, attribution is
>>> highly medium specific.
>>>
>> [snip]
>> However, if what you say happens to in fact be correct
>> (never mind if it has been previously covered in these
>> threads or not), that would be quite significant, in
>> particular in those jurisdictions where moral rights
>> are defined in law.
>>

> I don't think there's much dispute that attribution is highly medium
> specific.
I don't think anybody can dispute you just quoted me highly
out of context.

> A URL printed in a textbook is clearly much different from a URL
> encoded into a web page.  The only question is whether the specifics should
> focus on the rights of the author, or on maximizing ease of redistribution.

No, that is precisely a false dilemma. there are a whole range
of issues to consider, and those aren't even the necessarily
most cogent ones. In some circumstances maximizing ease of
redistribution and the rights of the author go hand in hand.

And in some corner cases, idiots (and I am not meaning you
but specifically some of your less clueful opponents) will argue
that sacrificing the authors pride of doing good in a copyleft
context is a necessary price to pay to make it easier to
redistribute. This is false, and I am willing to argue against
this statement when posited at any forum in any fashion, if
I am given my right to express my arguments.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen