[Foundation-l] Agreement between WMF and O'Reilly Media about Wikipedia: The Missing Manual on Wikipedia?

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:10:56 UTC 2009

I hate to say it, but it would probably flourish best on Wikipedia,
since there are more knowledgable wikipedians on that site with a
vested interest to make the book better. The question is more one of
appropriateness, does Wikipedia want to host books, even books about
Wikipedia? Wikibooks has policies and structures in place already to
manage books like this, Wikipedia would have to write some kind of
special exception to every rule to allow this book to exist there.

Of course, we have to ask what the authors want too, even if we "can"
move the book to Wikibooks under the GFDL, I don't want to do that if
the authors or copyright owners are unhappy with it.

--Andrew Whitworth