[Foundation-l] Agreement between WMF and O'Reilly Media about Wikipedia: The Missing Manual on Wikipedia?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 28 10:28:50 UTC 2009

2009/1/28 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> First, we think it's wonderful that O'Reilly has done this; TMM is a
> fantastic book and a great introduction for newbies. (We have been
> giving copies away as gifts for a while.)

Also, as the O'Reilly press release notes, it's John who took the
initiative to make this happen. So big, big thanks to John. :-)

I've been meaning to write about this for a while, as a quick related
heads up: We're also contracting John to write a Wikipedia Educator's
Guide for us, which will hopefully help students and educators to get
a better understanding regarding Wikipedia use. It will also include
case studies about student assignments.

The guide won't be directly developed on a Wikimedia wiki to avoid an
icky paying-for-content situation, but once it's ready we'll publicize
it widely and hope it'll find a home on Wikibooks or elsewhere for
future development. For those who want to get a first glimpse behind
the scenes, John is working on at it at <howto.pediapress.com>. He is
happy to collaborate, but it's his baby and he'll build it however he
wishes.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation